Tuesday, February 14, 2012

White Chocolate Sweetheart Cake


I never knew it was so easy to make a heart-shaped cake! Here's a peek at my second treat for SWEET TOOTH TUESDAY!!! This is my first recipe that I'm sharing without actually tasting the finished product. The cake needs to stay in one piece because it's a Valentine surprise for the hubby. Ssssh! Don't tell.



Ingredients:

*6 oz white baking chocolate, chopped
*1 box white cake mix
*3 large eggs
*1 small tub (8 oz) reduced fat sour cream
*1/3 cup oil 
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
*1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped

Frosting:

*4 oz white baking chocolate, chopped
*2 packages cream cheese
*1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
*1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-in. square and an 8-in. round cake pan with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with wax paper; spray paper
2) Melt chocolate in 1⁄4 cup water in a heavy 1-qt saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
3) In a large bowl with mixer on low speed, beat cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla and chocolate mixture 1 minute to blend. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and nuts until combined. Divide between cake pans; spread evenly.
4) Bake 40 to 45 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 15 minutes. Invert on rack, remove wax paper and cool completely.

5) Frosting: Melt white chocolate as package directs. Scrape into a large bowl; add cream cheese and butter. Beat with mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. On low speed beat in sugar and vanilla just until smooth.
6) To make a heart, place square cake on large serving tray or platter, 1 corner facing you. Cut round cake in half; use frosting to glue cut sides to top left and top right sides of square cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm, then frost with remaining frosting.
So here's where things went awry. The whole icing and decorating part kind of turned into a disaster. My pretty fluffy cake sat in the fridge overnight covered in a thin layer of the frosting. In the morning I got it out and let the rest of the frosting sit at room temperature until I started to spread it on the cake. It went on nice and smooth since the other layer had time to sit overnight. I was pretty excited considering me and frosting never get along very well. The frosting looked superb and it was time for decorating. I followed the simple instructions that said to mix some powdered sugar with water and food coloring to drizzle it from a toothpick onto the cake. Drizzle my fanny. It looked like big messy dots randomly placed on the cake. So I tried to cover up my mistakes with some leftover icing and cover them but it only made a swirly red/white pattern in the cake. Then I really screwed things up when I brought out the sprinkles. I'm kicking myself for not making pink frosting....it would've been so pretty and perfect. Next time, next time! On second thought, I think it would look extra pretty to line the edge of the cake with raspberries.

Ok, so lining the square pan was easy....


But lining the round pan was not.....

In the end it didn't matter. I was worried that the cake batter would leak under the paper and the cake would be deformed. T'was not the case.....

It smelled sooooooooooooo yummy while it was baking! And it looked too good not to eat while I was taking them out of the pans.....
Don't eat the waxed paper! ;)

My favorite part was making the heart....duh! I had no idea it was going to be so huge though! I mean HUGE!!!!! Make sure you have a big platter to put the cake on.
Attatching the top of the heart


LOVE it!

So here is the finished product. It kills me that I can't tell you how it tastes. But it only takes one look at the ingredient list and it's no secret that it's going to taste like heaven! Here's to all of your readers.....wishing you a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!! Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!






Oh and guess what....I was pretty ehxausted after three hours of baking in the kitchen and didn't have the patience to chop up the chunky macadamia nuts so I left them out. Breaks my heart but I had to do it. Hehe. Oh and I backed off on the coconut with only 1/2 cup since it's not my favorite ingredient. I can handle a little but not a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment