Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Blueberry Angel Food Cake


It seems as though this healthy-er eating month has forced me to step outside of my taste bud comfort zone. Angel food cake would usually be pretty low on the list of desired desserts. Probably because it isn't the most calorie-packed dessert out there. So how can one jazz up this bland spongy treat? Well, how bout add some blueberries and lemon juice. Works like a charm. I took a chance with this recipe. It's kind of strange baking something that you aren't sure if you will actually want to eat or not when you get finished. About twenty minutes into the baking process I took a peek in the oven and knew that I'd want to eat every last bite of it. It was just so pretty. So with all that being babbled, let the treat making begin.....

HAPPY SWEET TOOTH TUESDAY!!!!!!

When I think of angel food cake, I think of a bundt cake pan. A bundt cake pan is something my kitchen was lacking. Not only is this blog opening up my eyes to the world of cooking but apparently it is helping me slowly but surely complete my kitchen.




Ingredients:

Cake:
*1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
*1 cup sifted cake flour
*12 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups
*1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

*2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
*1 tablespoon grated lemon rind


Glaze:
*1 cup powdered sugar
*3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice




Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375°.

2) Sift together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.

3) In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.

4) Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in. Fold in vanilla and blueberries.

5) Combine 2 tablespoons flour and lemon rind; toss to coat. Sprinkle over egg white mixture; fold in.

6) Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting   through batter with a knife. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen the cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto plate.
7) To prepare the glaze, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.Drizzle over cooled cake.


I was so excited to flip over the pan and have to admit was a little bummed when I saw that all of the blueberries had decided to have a party at the bottom and had congregated together. For taste this means great things....but for looks not so much. My photograph tricks the eye....my clump of blueberries is on the opposite side so you can't see. ;) So here is my blonde cooking moment this week: I left out the cream of tartar. For a couple reasons. #1: I have no idea what it is. #2: When I asked the nice lady at the store to direct me towards it I ended up on the tartar sauce aisle. That would've been some funky tasting cake! Cream of tartar, where are yoooooouuuuuuuuuu? Today was my first go round with my new mixer from my mother-in-law. I've had it since my birthday in November but have yet to use it since I went on a cooking hiatus. Ok, that's not entirely the truth though. I was afraid to use it. Appliances intimidate me and I waited for a tutorial sesh with her before I put it to use. It's official now.......I. LOVE. IT. Look ma, no hands! I felt lazy just watching the mixer do all the work though . Hehehe. So back to the dessert of the hour......it has flavor to the max!!!!!! My sweet girl and I sat atop the counter and enjoyed sharing a piece...or two or three. Sssssh. Don't tell. Super sweet and extra moist is how I would describe it. Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment