Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crock Pot Jambalaya


Big, big fan of cajun food. Do I ever eat it? Nope, not really. I always picture that Zatarian's commercial in my head when I think about jambalaya or gumbo. So here's a little bit of NOLA in a bowl for ya......


Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 cups green peppers , chopped
  • 1 medium onion , chopped
  • 2 celery ribs , sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste
  • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 lb shrimp , shelled
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice

Directions:

  1. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces.
  2. Put all ingredients (EXCEPT shrimp and rice) in crock pot.
  3. Cover; cook on low for 8 hours.
  4. Add shrimp the last 20 minutes of cooking.
  5. Cut up whole tomatoes and add back to crockpot. Stir in rice before serving.
Sadly I left out a very big part of this recipe I've just shared. THE SHRIMP!!! Why?, you ask. Well, the hubby is not a fan of anything that lives in the sea. I made a bonehead move by not thinking to substitute sausage for the shrimp but maybe next time.
Before the cooking began

I found myself craving these leftovers all day today. I can tell there will be a leftover war going on over this! I think I went light on the Tabasco for hubby's sake.....next time I'm gonna go crazy with the hot sauce. It could handle a little more HOTness than what the recipe calls for.

It's good. It's a winner. Definitely one to put on the "hey babe, can you make that again" list. Oh yeah, one more thing.....ENJOY!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment