Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Leprechaun Key Lime Cake



Top of the evenin' to ya lads and lasses!
It's SWEET TOOTH TUESDAY!

Confession time begins now: It's obvious that I'm jumping right into my holiday themed Tuesday treats again. St. Patty's day is right around the corner (said in my best Irish accent of course). I knew the ever so popular Fanning treat, blarney stones, would be at the top of my list for this month but I needed something to make this week (Blarney stones are next week!). I thought my search would be easy. Well it wasn't. I was being a bit picky about the difficulty of the green recipes I'd found....they were all too time consuming to bake and blog about after a full day's work (no day off today...bummer, sad face, yawn). I needed something simple, very quick and easy. Something that would allow me to keep my kitchen from turning into a disaster zone. During a search online I found this recipe. It said the words "key lime" in it...it had very few ingredients....and it sounded delicious. That's great and all but there is something that puzzles me....I have no stinkin' idea why this dessert is called "Leprechaun Key Lime Cake." It's not even green for goodness' sake (although it could've easily been green with just a touch of food coloring...but that's beside the point.) There's no leprechaun dancing on the cake....no four leaf clovers popping out of it. So where does the leprechaun come in to play?! Here is what I've come up with: lime = green. Green = St. Patty's Day. St Patty's Day = leprechaun. There you have it folks!! Introducing Leprechaun Key Lime Cake.....



Ingredients:

Cake
*1 pkg Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
*1 (3.4 oz) pkg lemon instant pudding and pie filling
*4 large eggs
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*3/4 cup water
*1/4 cup Key lime juice


Glaze

*2 cups confectioners' sugar
*1/3 cup Key lime juice
*2 tbsp water
*2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
* additional confectioners' sugar, lime slices and fresh strawberry slices, for garnish



Directions:

1) Preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
 
2) For cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup Key lime juice in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
 
 
 
3) Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Remove cake from pan onto cooling rack. Return cake to pan. Poke holes in top of warm cake with toothpick or long-tined fork.
 
 
Isn't she pretty?

4) For glaze, combine 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/3 cup Key lime juice, 2 tablespoons water and melted butter in medium bowl. Pour slowly over top of warm cake. Cool completely. Invert onto serving plate and sprinkle additional confectioner's sugar on top. Garnish with lime slices and strawberry slices, if desired


**The recipe actually had a bake time of 50-60 minutes but mine was easily done at 40 minutes. Keep a close eye on it! Also of note...I used half fresh lime juice, half lime juice from a bottle. Turned out just fine.








Ya know what? Come to think of it, they can name this cake whatever they want to name it since it's so darn tasty. I enjoyed watching the glaze seep down through the holes in the cake. Mmmmm. I usually turn up my nose at cakes without thick creamy frosting involved but this one is definitely worth repeating. The cake glided out of the pan so nice and easy and came to rest on the cake stand lookin' all pretty and golden. The knife slid right through it...so moist and fluffy. I will be making this one again. But for now this one needs to find a new home. My backside doesn't need the calories and the hubs is obviously not diggin' the tangy lemon-limey flavor. With that being said, I'm looking for a good home for cake adoption (cake stand not included). ;) Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!!


1 comments:

Gwyn said...

Oh my gosh....my mouth is watering! I must make this! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment