Monday, March 5, 2012

New Recipe Night: Lasgana Roll-Ups


Pin It

Hello easy family recipe!!!! I'm tellin' ya, this recipe has just been waiting for me to find it. This is the answer to my dry and less than desirable attempts at lasagna in the past. I've always followed the instructions on the back of the lasagna noodle box and it always left me with a bone dry and blah dish. I guess I've always had what you'd call "lasagna envy." How does everyone else's turn out so tasty and saucy???? I took some steps with these roll-ups to keep from having a repeat lasagna failure. I added plenty of extra sauce...oh yeah, and also a LOT of extra meat. I envisioned my roll-ups falling apart and looking like a hot mess. Have a little faith, Ashley!!! They actually turned out quite beautiful.



Ingredients:

*1 lb ground beef
*2 Tbsp onions (chopped)
*1 garlic cloves (minced)
*16 oz can crushed tomatoes
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp dried oregano
*1 dash cayenne pepper
*1 1/4 cups small curd cottage cheese (drained)
*1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
*1 eggs (lightly beaten)
*1 Tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
*1/4 tsp onion powder
*6 lasagna noodles (cooked and drained)
*1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
 
Directions:
 
1) In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, salt, oregano and cayenne; simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon half of the meat sauce into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. 
 
 
 
2) Combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and onion powder; spread 1/4 cupful on each noodle. Carefully roll up and place seam side down over meat sauce.
 
 



 
3) Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
 
**I added some Italian seasoning to the meat mixture and used 1lb of beef instead of the measly 1/4 lb that the recipe called for. If you will note above I made an executive decision to officially change the recipe. More meat please!! I also used a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes instead of the 16 oz it called for. Ah heck, more sauce it always better!!
 
 
Yum. I loved them. We loved them. It's like your own little mini lasagnas. One roll up is plenty and very filling. That's my kind of meal....the dish that keeps on dishing....I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. ;) Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment