Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pineapple-Berry Smoothie


I might as well have just titled this post "confessions of a smoothie addict." About a year ago I was on a smoothie kick once I found out that Walmart carried Jamba Juice smoothies in the frozen section. Eureka! I was both excited and mad. Excited that I'd stumbled upon the world's greatest product and mad because I'd been missing out on it. At that time I could be found driving thirty miles round trip with a screaming crying newborn just to get my hands on one of my favorite Jamba smoothies. So you can imagine my relief when I discovered these handy dandy packaged smoothies whilst on an outing with my ever so cranky baby. So I bought them. And I bought them....and I bought them and I bought them. Problem was they were getting to be rather expensive....it's safe to say I was even more of a smoothiholic at this point.....




I was on a mission to create a more cost effective way to feed my smoothie addiction. So I went to the store, grabbed a bunch of potential smoothie items and busted out my blender back at home. The pineapple-berry smoothie was born that day. If you even consider recreating this concoction I must warn you first. There is a slight chance that my taster is unique and just plain weird, but ever since I made up this mixture I've been hooked ever since. I apologize in advance if the taste isn't what you were dreaming of. But hey, anything with fruit and yogurt mixed together can't be bad...and I think this one is pretty darn good. At roughly 150 calories per serving this is the perfect way to get your morning started. Or your afternoon or evening....or anytime for that matter.






Ingredients:


* 1 cup pineapple juice
* 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
* 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
* 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
* 1/2 container strawberry-banana yogurt


*I try to use at least one fresh fruit ingredient...try not to use all frozen because it will end up too thick and frosty.


Directions:


Simply add all ingredients in blender and blend 'em up! Makes two servings (or one if you are a smoothie hog/addict like me)


Doesn't it look simply delightful and refreshing?!?!?! ------>




Not only does the promise of yummy fruit goodness first thing in the morning help give you a nice burst of energy....but the sound of the obnoxiously loud blender mixing up frozen fruit bits will be sure to wake you up. ;) My daughter shares in the smoothie love with me. Except she gets to partake from a fun swirly straw. You can almost feel the anti-oxidant power running through your veins. Since I've started back on my morning smoothie binge I've found myself to have more energy. I'm not a coffee drinker so I've got to have something to get me goin'! I guess it's important the mention that smoothies replaced the ever so popular- but so last month- addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper. Hello Lent. Bye bye caffeine. For good. I'm diggin' my quality time spent with my smoothie each morning. Much more satisfying that that syrupy stuff (ok, maybe if I keep telling myself that I won't want that syrupy goodness anymore) ;)


You probably noticed that my recipe is missing some traditional smoothie ingredients. Where is the milk and ice?? A lot of recipes use milk and ice for flavor and texture. But sometimes ice can lead to a watery drink. And I'm just not a big fan of that milky flavor. The frozen fruit serves as a sub for ice...you definitely end up with a very chilly drink.


This isn't the actual serving size...just a small glass I used for prettiness' sake

0 comments:

Post a Comment