Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sweet Your Heart Out: Pineapple Sheet Cake

Do you have a favorite cookbook?

Here is mine....


Wanna know the ironic part? This so called "favorite cookbook" of mine has only been used ONE time. I guess having it makes me feel all Ree Drummond-like inside. Cooking By the Boot Straps....it just screams "I know what I'm doing in the kitchen and I'm not a complete failure when it comes to cooking." Right? So what did I make from this cookbook on that one occasion??? Well this is my second attempt at this yummy pineapple sheet cake so there's your answer. It served me well the first time I made it last year and I expect that it will this time as well. I must admit I haven't been able to taste it yet because chilling in the fridge right now waiting for it's trip to a pre-bible study dinner tonight at our church. Although I haven't been "cookin' by the boot straps" as much as I'd like, take my word for it....this delightfully delicious sounding cookbook will be sure to get more of my attention in the near future.  


Ingredients:

Cake

*2 cups flour
*1 1/2 tsp baking soda
*2 cups sugar
*1 stick butter
*2 eggs, beaten
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple
*1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Frosting

*8 oz cream cheese (softened)
*1 stick butter (softened)
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
*1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)


Directions:

1) In a small bowl mix the flour and baking soda. Beat the sugar and butter in a different mixing bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until blended.

2) Beat in the dry ingredients. Stir the undrained pineapple and nuts into the batter.


3) Spoon the batter into a greased sheet cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.



4) To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the powdered sugar gradually, beating constantly until of a spreading consistency.

5) Stir in the pecans. Spread frosting over the top of the hot cake right out of the oven. Chill, covered, until serving time.

This recipe serves 15 to 20.







This time around I left the nuts out of the cake mix and simply sprinkled them on top after I finished icing the cake. Easy, simple, quick, sweet and light. Anything with pineapple has my approval. The hubs on the other hand puts anything with pineapple as an ingredient in the "I wouldn't eat that if my life depended on it" category. Strange fella he is when it comes to food. I know one thing...he's missin' out by not trying this cake. The asthetics of this cake may not grab your attention but the sweet smell and the pineapple pieces are sure to pull you in. Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment