Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

It's my new favorite day of the week (and hopefully yours too)!!!

TREAT YOUR SWEET TOOTH TUESDAY!!!

Wait, what am I thinking? If I make something delish on a Tuesday then I get to enjoy it the rest of the week, right?

RIGHT!

My inspiration for the first week of Sweet Tooth Tuesday is my mother. My favorite dessert that she made was pineapple upside down cake. I can taste it now just thinking about it. I won't even begin to compare our baking skills so we won't go there. Let's just say that I gave it a try. This was my first attempt at an upside down cake and the name alone scared me. After all, I was going to have to successfully bake and turn something upside down. Hmmmm. Sounds like a huge potential for disappointment to me.


Ingredients:
*1/4 cup butter
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*1 cup cake flour
*1/2 cup sugar
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/4 cup butter, softened
*1/2 cup milk
*1 egg
*1/2 tsp vanilla
*1 can pineapple slices in syrup
*maraschino cherries

1) Drain can of pineapple, saving the syrup


2) Place butter in 8" square or round pan, melt in the oven while preheating at 375 degrees


3) Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter.


4) Arrange pineapple slices and cherries (with cherries in center of pineapple slices) over the brown sugar.

Isn't it so colorful and fun?!

5) Cut some of remaining pineapple slices in half circles, then line the sides of the pan with them (standing up) - I skipped this part because I ran out of pineapple slices....I guess the recipe should call for 2 cans


6) In a bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, softened butter, milk, egg, vanilla and 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup.


7) Pour batter into the pan being careful not to disturb the pineapples and cherries


8) Bake at 375 for 30 - 35 minutes or until cake is golden and has pulled away from the edges slightly.


9) Remove from oven and allow to stand for a few minutes to set

Smelling scrumptious!

10) Turn it upside down onto a serving dish.


11) Serve while still warm.


I had a minor issue after I flipped the cake. I expected to have to shake it out but it was ready to slide out onto the plate....guess the butter kept things pretty slippery. I had to do some quick repair and slide it all the way on the plate. Despite my hiccup I must say it turned out pretty. I think I made momma proud! :)


Oh yeah, one more thing!
...........

ENJOY!!!


Is your mouth watering yet?

The best part about this treat is that it looks fancy but it's super duper easy!

Go! Go make it now! Or better yet, come over to my house and eat this cake so that I don't inhale it all by myself! I'm thinking ice cream would taste really good alongside this piece of deliciousness!



GOT MOTIVATION?

0 comments:

Post a Comment