Wednesday, November 9, 2011

New Recipe Night: Crock Pot Beef Stew

It's raining...

It's pouring...

The little baby's snoring....

That can only mean one thing....

Time to try a new recipe!!!

I love Tuesdays oh so very much and can always count on having enough energy to cook. I was in the mood for something warm and comforting. It's a good thing we took our trip to the store early in the morning because the recipe I chose required ten hours to cook!! I love throwing things in the crock pot but I'm so bad about forgetting until it's too late to start cooking. And by late I mean 5:00 o'clock in the evening. Too late to throw in a roast for that evening's dinner?? I guess so. ;)





Ingredients:


*2 Tbsp Olive Oil
*2 lb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 to 2 in pieces
*1 large onion
*3 potatoes
*3 carrots
*3 stalks celery
*1/2 cup ketchup
*2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
*1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
*1 Tbsp paprika
*2 cups beef stock
*1/4 cup water
*1/4 cup flour




Directions:


1) Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and sear meat on all sides then remove. Place beef in crock pot and cover with onions and vegetables.


2) In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, Worcestershire, brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard and beef broth. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables.


3) Cook on low for 10 hours. During the last half hour of cooking, mix the flour and water together and over meat and stir, then turn to high heat.


I was a little thrown off by some of the ingredients....dark brown sugar? I didn't know such a thing existed. And paprika? Isn't that just used for deviled eggs? ;) I left out the celery simply because neither my husband or I are a fan. I added some green beans to the recipe and I think next time I'll add some peas as well. It needed some more color. The meat was so tender since it has been cooking on low all day. The perfect meal waiting on the counter at the end of the day. It even made a great meal for my sweet girl. I popped some french bread with some garlic spread in the oven for a couple minutes. Very yummy for dipping in the stew! We definitely had plenty of leftovers which suited me just fine when lunch time rolled around today. Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!










GOT MOTIVATION?

0 comments:

Post a Comment