Saturday, November 19, 2011

New Recipe Night: Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings


I guess I should say "New Recipe Day" because we chowed down on this meal for a nice Saturday lunch. I had planned on it being nice and chilly outside but the weather did not get the memo that I was making a nice cozy dish for cold weather. You can eat chicken and dumplings when it's in the mid 60s right? Sure ya can! This was my first Pinterest recipe attempt. I've been pinning recipes for about a month now and finally got around to actually looking at a real recipe and not just the picture of it. This pin just kept popping up and yelling at me..."make me!!!! make me!!!!" Am I the only one that pins, pins, pins but never actually looks at the recipes? I think I'll be pulling a lot of recipes from my A is for Appetite board because this recipe was out of this world yummy and so so so easy! Here's why....


....when I think of crock pot recipes I always assume it's going to have to cook overnight or be put in of a morning and be ready for dinner. Well not this recipe. I started cooking it at 8:00 and it was in a bowl in front of me at noon. How's that for crock pot cooking!? The recipe calls for 4-6 hours of cooking the chicken but mine was ready after 3 1/2 hours. The smell had infiltrated every corner of the house by the time I returned from a shopping trip this morning. I couldn't wait any longer to add the "dumplings." This will for sure be a new Fanning favorite!






Ingredients:


*1lb of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (3-5)
*2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
*2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
*1 can Chicken Broth
*1 medium White Onion, diced
*4 Large Flaky Refrigerator Biscuits


Directions:

1) Place chicken in crock pot and top with butter.  Add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth and diced onions.  Cook on High for 4-6 hours.

2) Remove chicken from crock pot and use a fork to shred.  Return chicken to the crock pot.  

3) Cut each uncooked biscuit into 9 pieces and stir into the chicken mixture.  Continue to cook on High for 30 minutes.  Serve hot. Makes about 6-8 servings.

The buscuits puff up a lot more than I'd expected which made for a bigger crock pot full that I'd expected....which makes for a very full stomach now! I almost think you'd need two seperate crock pots if you wanted to double the recipe for a large group. Otherwise your buscuits would want to overflow! Next time I'm going to cut back on the onions...makes for great flavor but oh how I hate the texture of biting into a piece of onion (baby steps, people, baby steps). Oh the creaminess makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I can't think of a more perfect, simple and comforting meal than this! Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!




GOT MOTIVATION?

0 comments:

Post a Comment