Sunday, November 27, 2011

New Recipe Night: Tator Tot Casserole

A childhood favorite for sure. During my grade school days I adamantly refused to eat the cafeteria food. Instead I requested a turkey sandwich on white bread with a sprinkle of pepper along with a bag of Doritos and a cheese stick EVERYDAY for lunch. It was as simple as that. I didn't envy watching my classmates eat from their trays and drink their little milk cartons. But there was one exception....that was on tator tot casserole day. On some occasions when it was this day I would try to bargain with my friends to set up a lunch room trade. It turns out I'm the only person who liked a plain turkey sandwich. I would sit there picking at my sandwich while I watched them eat what I wanted. This usually led to me requesting the tator tot dish when I got home after school. Thankfully I had a wonderful mother who obliged. ;) Here's my lunchtime favorite and I'm sharing it with you....



Ingredients:


*2 lbs. ground beef
*salt and black pepper, to taste
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*1 cup sour cream
*2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
*1 package frozen tater tots


Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
  2. Brown ground beef. Season with salt and pepper, while browning. Drain.
  3. Spread ground beef in the prepared baking dish. Whisk together soup and sour cream. Spread over ground beef in an even layer.
  4. Sprinkle one cup of cheddar cheese over the soup layer.
  5. Top with tater tots.
  6. Bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.


This was my first time to make it myself. I have no idea why it has taken me this long considering it takes about two seconds to prepare. And I don't think I've eaten this since I was fifteen so it only made it that much tastier. Guess who also shares my love for this oh so simple dish?? My daughter and husband!! Oh yeah, one more thing....ENJOY!!


The half tator-tot missing is thanks to my hungry hubby






GOT MOTIVATION?

0 comments:

Post a Comment