Saturday, October 1, 2011

3 Cheese Crock Pot Mac 'n' Cheese


Easy peasy! Just the way I like it.

The beginning of fall and the move into October has left me wanting yummy comfort/gameday/cool weather food. One of my only cookbooks that isn't packed away in a box is my Crock Pot recipe collection book. I picked it up a few months ago while browsing the book aisle at Walmart. This one stood out to me for two reasons: #1 it was a thick book which meant tons of options since I'm a picky eater and #2 crock pot recipes meant little to no work involved in the prep of food. Now that's my cooking style. I couldn't wait to get home and pick out the recipes I wanted to make. I was slightly bummed to find that there weren't that many that were calling to me. Turns out that most of them are not appealing during the summer months because now that I've reopened the book collecting dust, I am in love with tons and tons of recipes in it. Today I was looking for super easy because frankly I was exhausted all day long and did not want any part of cooking after I made breakfast burritos for brunch. Speaking of, here's a quick way to make some yummy treats for breakfast or brunch.......


1 package of sausage
6 eggs
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
1 small can diced green chiles

1) Cook the sausage in a large pan (for a less meaty filling use 1/2 package of sausage)
 2) Add the eggs, green chiles and cheese
3) Cook until eggs are done
4) Fill tortillas with mixture
5) Add some picante sauce for more flavor
6) Serve to a hungry husband


Alright, I'm getting sidetracked! Back to the mac 'n' cheese! Plan to let it cook for 3-4 hours in the crock pot.

1) Cook one 12 oz bag of elbow macaroni and drain....


Add macaroni, 1 large can of evaporated milk, 1 1/2 cups of milk, 1 stick of butter, salt and pepper as desired and 3 cups of cheddar cheese. Cook on low for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally. Sounds like the most simple thing in the world, right? How could you go wrong? Well, you could forget to plug the crock pot in for the first hour.....


....and perhaps you might add an extra cup of mozzeralla and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for more flavor. I don't think it was a good idea in the end. Not as creamy as I had desired and I think it's my fault for not doing as the recipe told me to do. No more mozzeralla next time. Appearance gets an E for effort.....


Sprinkle with bread crumbs


Taste gets an A-. The recipe makes a LOT of macaroni! Good thing it tastes delish! We may be eating it for a few days! I'm dreaming of creamier macaroni next time.....anybody out there have a recipe for creamy mac 'n' cheese???

0 comments:

Post a Comment