Wednesday, October 5, 2011

New Recipe Night: Chicken Noodle Casserole

Before I give you the dets on this dish I thought it might be fun to share with you how I choose which desserts and dishes to make. It goes a lil something like this.....

"Oh, Tuesday's coming up. I'd better pick a recipe.....something colorful or really yummy....oh and the name has to sound yummy too......but it can't be too complicated.....I don't have that kinda time......well but I guess if it's my day off then I might have time to do something time-consuming.....well nah, I'll just keep it simple....but I don't want it to be too simple because what's the point of blogging about it......."

......or something like this......

"Well I guess it's about time I cook something this week....hmm, let's see. (google search, scroll through recipes, BINGO.) Oh wait, but it can't have mushrooms or spinach or anything yucky like that....hmm, back to the drawing board....ok, so this looks good....darn it, it has that word I've never seen before in the recipe....oh wait, what was that recipe I saw on Pinterest...."

.....or even something like this.....

"That sounds yummo but my husband will probably pretend he's not hungry when he takes a look at it...."

In other words, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way I select these recipes. I have no go-to website, no favorite cook book. It's just me, my handy dandy smart phone and whatever recipe pops up first when I type in the word casserole. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit but it's not far from reality. I guess I should say I get inspiration from some of my favorite foods growing up and go from there. That is where today's recipe comes from.....my extreme love and obsession with chicken and noodles. Here you have it folks. A creamy casserole delight.

I did a quick run to the store during an unexpected break in my work day (those are pretty uncommon) to pick up what I needed. I've only run into one display so far while trying to read the tiny recipe on my phone screen while walking up and down the aisles....

The essentials



Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
*Preheat to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
*4 chicken breast halves
*12 oz package of egg noodles
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*1 cup sour cream
* salt & pepper
*1 cup crumbled Ritz crackers
*1 stick of butter

1) Cook chicken in large pot of chicken broth/water. Cook until no longer pink in center (about 12 minutes).

2) Remove from pot and set aside. Bring the chicken cooking water to boil and cook pasta in it. 

3) Drain pasta. Cut chicken in small pieces and mix with noodles.

4) In a separate bowl mix together cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. Combine chicken and noodles with cream mixture and pour into a 2 quart baking dish.

5) Melt butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat. Stir in crumbled crackers. Spread buttery crackers on top of casserole.


This is the part where babies come in handy. You'll see....


She was my cracker cruncher....and guess what she got as a reward? CRACKERS of course!!
And so did the doggies!

Yummy buttery goodness....oh the smell is enough to make your mouth water

6) Cook for 30 minutes. Oh yeah, one more thing.......

ENJOY!!!


This dish got a big thumbs up from the hubster....ya see, he couldn't give me a verbal report because his mouth was full of food. :)


GOT MOTIVATION?