Monday, October 10, 2011

Meal in a Bag Night

So cooking every night is for the birds if you ask me. Not that I've actually attempted it but the thought of it makes me cringe. Although I should report that my attempt to kick start my desire to be in the kitchen more has worked more than I had imagined it would. In fact, if I'm not in the kitchen lately I feel awkward and out of place. Furthermore, if I'm not planning my next thing to bake or cook I'm at the store picking up ingredients and supplies. So if you want to know if it's working......yeah, it's working. Just ask my bank account. Cooking is expensive!!! Which brings me to my latest and greatest installment:

MEAL IN A BAG NIGHT. 

Yes ladies (and gentlemen, maybe?), we are allowed to cook meals out of bags every once in awhile and pretend like we made a plate full of pretty food in ten minutes. The hubs will never know!!! ;) I usually steer clear of the frozen food section because I am constantly bombarded with magazines and health experts saying to stay away from frozen meals...preservatives....blah blah blah. Not to mention some of them just end up tasting like garbage. I will say that if you are a freak about sodium content, then meal in a bag night won't be your cup of tea. As I was wandering the grocery store aisles trying to find inspiration the other day I found myself in the "cheat aisle." I thought "what the heck, one night eating a frozen meal never hurt anyone." When I was first married and couldn't even boil water, I used to buy bagged meals all the time. But by the time my picky eating habits got ahold of the bag I had thrown away 3/4 of the meal (veggies and any sort of nut were tossed in the trash.) That usually left Riley and I with three little pieces of meat to share. Hmmm, maybe that's why I steer clear of the frozen aisle too?! (lol)


Tonight as I stood with the fridge door open at 7:30 trying to figure out what to feed us I remembered I had picked out a cheat meal. Bahahahaha!! I was so pleased with this little bag that was waiting for me so conveniently. It almost gave me a satisfaction that I can't describe to open a bag, pour food in a pan and VOILA! I have a meal in minutes. This week's "fool your husband" meal is.......


PF Chang's Shanghai Style Beef


Ready in 13 minutes and served on a bed of brown rice. I got a "bravo" from the hubs. Bag or no bag, he didn't seem to care as long as it was food in his belly.



Ok, now to the serious part of Meal in a Bag Night: was it a keep or toss? I guess that's my whole point of sharing this with you.....is it worth buying or not?!

This lazy meal gets a big FAT KEEP!!!! It really was very tasty (maybe it's because I didn't toss the peppers, beans and onions in the trash before cooking it). Join me in fooling your hubby once a week....I don't want to be the only sneaky one out there! ;)



GOT MOTIVATION?

0 comments:

Post a Comment